Dragaera

It has to be done. I apologize in advance.

Mon Jun 9 13:15:57 PDT 2003

I have decided that this list is too quiet.  The following is
designed to stir the pot a bit.  Also, it's designed to make you
laugh, through a careful combination of pomposity, elegance,
and crude shock value.

Warning: The following contains parody, humor, and other themes
not suitable for young minds.  To avoid legal issues, Steve is
free to use any wording, ideas, etc with or without credit as he
chooses, should he be insane enough to wish such a thing.

A wind rose among the slopes of Dzur Mountain, slopes that
reflected the faint orange light of dusk within the borders
of the Empire.  The wind scattered dust, sent it swirling among
the rocks, growing in fury until it howled past the ear of the
Dzur itself, the ear within which the Enchantress was said to
lurk.  The howling fury grew as the wind passed down the massive
shape in stone, joining other winds from other mountains, merging
to flow into the heart of the Empire like a river to the sea.
It was not /the/ beginning... but it was /a/ beginning.

But in the sheltering ear of the great Dzur, great sorceries were
at work.  The aura of power flickered and hummed, a deep uneven
rhythm, straining to contain that which sought potent escape.
The powerful energies at work within the Mountain gathered
strength, and the great Dzur almost seemed to purr, the
massive stone of its spine appearing in the fading light to be
arched in some arcane feline pleasure.

And if the well-nigh legendary shape of Dzur Mountain could be
interpreted in that manner, how then are we to describe the soft
voice of the Enchantress herself, wrapped in the bonds of her
magic that gleamed with a strong resemblence to the blackest of
silks, clothed in the mystic and indeed mistic energies of the
Orb itself, shorn of all ornamentation save the hilt of Iceflame
itself, as she moaned with a voice that commanded the energies
of the universe... "Oh, Vlad, more!"

Not even the most stringent interrogation could be sufficient to
draw forth a description of what some dauntless Dzur Hero would
have found upon reaching that most eldritch dwelling, for indeed
the sight would have torn asunder the mind of any casual
observer.  As we would view the Medusa itself in a mirror lest we
be turned to stone, so we must approach this scene by means of
the mirror that adorns the ceiling of that particular ear.

As we now turn our gaze into the mirror we must inquire of the
reader whether they appreciate the dire peril which even this
precaution, admittedly one of elementary design and fashioned by
a hand unskilled in the art which is sorcery, though perhaps not
entirely without talent in his own art, that of history, or
perhaps in this matter more of historical interpertation, for we
seek to interpert the visions history has provided in a manner
neither unseemly nor overly florid, but rather with precision and
deftness sketch the outlines of a picture the reader can surely
fill in for himself, cannot entirely avert.

The mirror itself, we should say, is ... ah... Sethra... I was
just wanting to ask... um... researching for my new book, "The
Enchantress of..." you've heard of it then?  Ah, yes, I'll be
going now...

Ribbit.

--
Matthew Hunter (matthew at infodancer.org)