Dragaera

How does someone get a link to the Orb

Sun Jun 22 18:26:01 PDT 2003

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Alexx S Kay wrote:

> >   But Paarfi has to know this, and tell us why the Breath of Fire
> > brigade doesn't go boom at the end of _FHYA_.
>
> The Brigade was not attempting a military coup, or even obviously engaging
> in any illegal behavior (IIRC).

They obstruct Khaavren on Imperial business; and at the end of the novel
they are in obvious rebellion.  Here's part 2 of my anti-coup theory
(which may just be my Tortaalik is an idiot theory) - couldn't the Emperor
instead of the Instafry feature use a "delisting" figure and simply remove
the Orb privileges of anyone in rebellion?

> We've only been told of the "instafry" ability in the context of "Don't
> bug the Emperor without a good cause".  I dare say that there would be,
> at the least, significant societal (legal?) repercussions against even
> an emperor who used such an ability against a large number of noble
> citizens without having *damn* good cause.

Yes, even if they were rebels I think.

> Now, "launching an army against the capitol" would certainly count as
> good cause.  If this has ever happened (I don't recall any, but that
> doesn't rule them out), then that would suggest some sort of mass-
> shielding was possible.

See above for the newer, gentler Instafry.

> But not all coups are military in nature (refer for example to Florida in
> 2000, or Dallas in 1963).

Ok, I'll give you Florida, though imho you need to give a time range
starting in the 90s.  I can't see how 1963 was a coup d'etat though.