Dragaera

How does someone get a link to the Orb

Fri Jun 27 11:13:44 PDT 2003

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, Mark A Mandel wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Philip Hart wrote:
>
> #> >I think _Jhereg_ is not exactly canon - Vlad says some funny stuff about
> #> >reviving beheaded people, for example
>
> I treated that as a slip by Brust [1], but if you're trying to keep
> Brust the author [2] out of the picture, saying Vlad made a mistake in
> Dragaeran history seems a good way to go.
>

> [1] http://world.std.com/~mam/Cracks-and-Shards/deaths.html#Beheading

Note that revivification was (nearly? entirely?) impossible before the
Interregnum - one of the various conversations with Verra in _Phoenix_ I
think.

There are a variety of problems with _Jhereg_ - the opening of Chapter 9
with the four close brushes with death, Aliera's friendship with Kiera,
Kiera's liplock with Vlad, ...

> #have to go on, so deserves to be considered the default description of
> #what happened until we have more obviously reliable information

> Default does not imply 100% reliable.

A good thing, else the "more obviously reliable" info would be 110%...

> #The fact is that Paarfi is our best (well, almost only) source of info
> #on these matters and one has to either accept it as an
> #internally-consistent and plausible description of events or choose
> #ignorance of this interesting period of history.
>
> Or internally inconsistent, if one finds internal inconsistencies.

Has this list been obsessively searching for such inconsistencies for
years, and has it found anything worse than the Lytra-wasn't-talking-
to-Seodra screwup?  And does it have a set of ready-made procedures for
blaming the messenger?