Dragaera

Testing?

Sat Apr 26 09:21:01 PDT 2003

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 11:26:27PM -0400, Jose Marquez <jhereg69 at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Matthew Hunter wrote:
> >On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 04:07:18PM -0400, Jose Marquez
> ><jhereg69 at earthlink.net> wrote:
> >>And to think that Sysadmin is something I'm sort of shooting for...
> >You do not shoot FOR sysadminning.  Sysadminning is something you
> >run away from.  At speed.
> You and John seem to be in agreement. And it came as a surprise to me
> that there are sysadmin courses, even though that shouldn't surprise me.

There are courses for everything.  There are *expensive* courses
for everything actually hard.  Few of the courses are worth what
you pay for.  None of the expensive courses are worth what you
pay for.

A course in system administration will teach you how to do
everything you need to do as a system administrator when the
systems work.  They will not teach you how to fix those systems
when they break.  Guess which one is the hard part?

> Still, right now I'm an unemployed kid with a year of real software
> development experience, so if I get a shot at sysadmining, I'll go for
> it... *grin*

Oh God.

> <jinxing class="myself into a job"> Besides, how bad
> could it be? </jinxing>

If you have to ask...

--
Matthew Hunter (matthew at infodancer.org)