Dragaera

started rereading _TPotD_

Sun Jul 13 14:29:26 PDT 2003

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003, Mark A Mandel wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Jul 2003, Philip Hart wrote:
>
> #It's 29 hours, according to some nice FAQ somewhere.
>
> It's 30 hours, well attested. See my writeup at
> http://world.std.com/~mam/Cracks-and-Shards/time.html#clock

For the record, I was misquoting
http://www.mojoworld.net/sil/ref/world.html

For the record, I think I could come up with reasonable arguments against
your position - basically I'd say that you've simply asserted a D-minute
equals an E-minute and trusted a variety of Brusts (or rather, trusted a
particular set of writings of the Brusts over others).  Maybe _he_'s the
one with the thing about 17 - and has systematically (more or less)
mistranslated the Vladiad and the Paariad to suit, so 17^2 days = 1 D-year
= 1 E-year results in the 30 hours figure.

> After living on Dragaera for over 200,000 years, I rather imagine that
> the humans (Easterners) have adapted well to the 30-hour day.

Fair enough - I've fallen into the error of thinking humans aren't subject
to selection pressure any more.  However, on the other hand I would
imagine that the adaptations might not result in 30-hour circadian clocks
- there could be societal adaptations, such as several sleep periods per
day, or a willingness to not be up at dawn every day or to say farm by
torchlight - which might be coupled with genetic changes...

Incidentally, how bright is it beneath the enclouding?  Bright enough to
farm, obviously, and for Eastern-adapted eyes to work fine - this seems
odd.

> Just don't ask how Terran languages remain recognizeable over such a
> span, and the Easterners haven't gotten past medieval tech. Just...
> don't.

Damn - too late - many times too late...  The former I've ascribed to "SB"
taking some liberty in translation, the latter to Dragaeran depredations,
the gods, and most of all the Cycle.