Dragaera

started rereading _TPotD_

David Silberstein davids at kithrup.com
Tue Jul 15 20:34:31 PDT 2003

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, Philip Hart wrote:

>Latest puzzlement - as Zerika leaves the Paths and the Orb boots up, she
>wonders where Piro et al. are - and she knows.  Piro doesn't (I presume)
>have a link.  Ok, Tazendra did - does she still?  Or does the Orb have
>plain old Total-Information-Awareness powers?

I got the impression from /Orca/ that there are things that the
Empress can do with the Orb which she is constrained from doing
for political reasons (i.e., doing so will piss off the Hous(es)
involved (which will cause stress and turmoil, and interfere with
trade)).

>Could the Jhereg have asked Zerika where Mellar was?

She might have been able to find Mellar in theory, but consider:
House Jhereg would have had to ask.  Remember that the whole point was
to keep the matter hush-hush.  And if they *did* ask, she might have
said no (because she doesn't particularly want to favor House Jhereg),
and if she'd said yes, then House Jhereg might find themselves in debt
to the Empress - which might be a greater problem to them than the
loss of funds & the loss of face.

Easier for House Jhereg to handle things their own way.  Or at least,
perhaps that's how it seemed to them, even assuming the Imperial
Tracking System exists.

>  Are there members of the Jhereg who are living off the grid by not
>getting a link (assuming that matters)?

I am starting to wonder more about the ones who settled Greenaere...