Dragaera

while cursing amazon re the non-release of _TLoCB_

David Silberstein davids at kithrup.com
Wed Aug 6 12:45:14 PDT 2003

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003, Philip Hart wrote:

>I see no evidence for equating Dragaeran and Terran minutes and
>hours.  It seems unlikely to me that they could be equivalent.  Of
>course it's possible that the ratio of days is exactly 30/24, but
>29/24 is as likely, as is (29.1)/24.  But in either of the latter
>cases, I would anticipate the minute being changed so that there
>would be an even number of hours.  As long as the second stayed the
>same, I don't think the physicists would care.
>
>In John M. Ford's great _Growing Up Weightless_, which is set on the
>moon, the lunar society uses 25 hour days with the final hour being
>12.5 minutes long.  Obviously such an arrangement isn't possible
>without computers - so pre-Orb, there must have been some
>accomodation in the non-exact case.

Pre-Orb, I doubt that the primitive Dragaeran tribes divided time that
finely.

BTW, I am not sure that the arrangement you describe would be
*impossible* without computers.  I read a book on clock & watchmaking,
and given all of the weird things that mechanical watches have been
made to do (track the phase of the moon, sidereal time, etc), I think
a sufficiently clever engineer could make a mechanical clock/watch in
which an alternate gearing system would be used once every X hours.
Although perhaps that falls under your definition, since a clock is a
primitive analog computer, in a sense.

At any rate, it doesn't necessarily require a digital computer.