Dragaera

Vlad vs Paarfi, round 2

Sun Aug 10 18:36:13 PDT 2003

So today I'm having brunch with a fellow Brust fan who's not on the
list, and I tell him about my idea for 'Tiassa' as an alternating
chapter in Vlad and Paarfis voice, with the Paarfi chapters from the
point of view of Khaavren or the Countess or Piro, and the Vlad chapters
>from Vlad.  We agree that trying to do a full-Roshomon overlap probably
wouldn't cut it, but maybe just a few lines of overlap could do the job.
Consider this chapter-ender from Paarfi and the chapter starter from
Vlad, which overlap the last few lines of dialog.

[ Khaavren and Vlad are outnumbered 4 to 2 by guards, but Vlad has
  claimed there should be no problem fighting their way out. ]

As we advanced, swords at ready against our quartet of foes, I
considered my companions performance in our last few heated engagements
and decided that his brash confidence was, in this case, probably
justified.  Just then the outer door exploded into the room, followed
almost immediately by an additional thirty to fourty armed Jhereg,
all in a clearly excited state at the presence of my reluctant
compatriot, and all plainly ready to commit their arms on the side
of our foes.  Vlad apprended their appearance immediately, and
remarked sotto voice:

"It would appear, good Tiassa, that my optimism of a few moments ago
might have been somewhat premature, if not entirely overstated."

"Nearly.  I yield, Lord Taltos, to your experience in these matters,
which does indeed to be both extensive and detailed."

<end chapter>
<new chapter>

"Well, now we're fucked."
"No shit, Sherlock."