Dragaera

Paresh and "Arylle"

David Silberstein davids at kithrup.com
Sat Aug 16 14:08:40 PDT 2003

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, Philip Hart wrote:

>For what it's worth, I find Paresh's account highly implausible, and
>the identification with T/A even more so.  That P would have solitary
>unfettered access for so long to a library, especially if that's
>Tazendra's library (surely Khaavren would have overseen the disbursal
>of the estate even if everybody else is dead), seems unlikely.

You are assuming that Khaavren, or anyone else who knew her, would
know that she was dead.

Although I admit that it is odd that her absence could go for so long
without any investigation (tax collectors & other auditors, at least,
might well show up).

But perhaps the explosion was part of an attack on the entire region,
and the Duke himself was a casualty.  A minor Baroness might not have
warranted further note than "She got hit too".

Although that doesn't make sense since the Lyorn doesn't seem to know
that the attack took place.  Hm.

>That a Lyorn would (deign to) attack him with sorcery seems further
>unlikely.

Why?  You are perhaps assuming that all Lyorns are of impeccable
character.  As we see with Shaltre, this is not the case.

>  That a Lyorn would physically show up in person to find someone
>(especially post-interregnum, when he could use the Orb to phone
>ahead, or have a servant phone ahead) I consider absolutely
>impossible.

But if this Lyorn is the heir of Temma, rather than being Temma
himself, he wouldn't know who the Baroness was, and thus would not be
able to contact her psionically.  Ditto regarding servants - all of
the servants of the Baron might well be dead and thus unable to
respond.

In fact, I can see this situation as follows: the young Lyorn is the
*new* Duke of Arylle, and he's wondering why the Barony's tax rolls
have not arrived.  He tells his servants to contact anyone in the
Barony that they know, and receive no response.  He wonders if perhaps
the Baron is in rebellion, and decides to go and check things out for
himself, perhaps in order to assert his authority.

There's things wrong with that scenario as well - why would none of
the Teckla of the Duke's lands tell the Duke about the incident?
Unless he really is so new on the scene that he has no contacts among
the locals at all.  Hm.  That does kind of make sense.

>That P would escape unpursued and unexecuted still more unlikely (I
>think the nobles would restrict access to such power and go to some
>trouble to track him down - say, call up all his chattels and have
>them grab any odd Tecklas they see - or use some sorcerous tracking
>method.  Though presumably P could teleport after a year's
>concentrated study - well, there's an arms race in assumptions which
>I assert the superior sorcerer Arylle would win.)

I do find it odd that his teleports were not traced.  He - Paresh -
was the most likely suspect for having caused the death of the Baron,
and thus at the very least might well have been tracked down,
imprisoned, and interrogated.

But perhaps the young Lyorn is less good at the forensic aspects of
sorcery.

>It's possible that Aerich doesn't make it out of the Viscountiad and
>Arylle is not a Lyorn and that Paresh and Vlad are accurate in their
>account and I'm entirely deluded,

As already suggested, it appears all too likely that the young Lyorn
cannot possibly be Aerich, which indicates that Aerich is, during
Vlad's time, defunct.  Regardless of whether the young Lyorn is a
usurper or legitimate heir, he would not have *called* himself the
Duke of Arylle unless the former Duke was no longer around to dispute
the claim.