Dragaera

D or A, there is no question (Issola Spoiler) (was Great Weapons)

Hans Schweitzer hans117 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 20 00:38:10 PDT 2003

>Issola (paperback) pg. 230

>Sethra is speaking of the "person" in question:

>"Not now," said Sethra. She frowned, and finally said, "Very well. Leave
>_her_ alone, we'll adjust."

>Key word there: HER

>Daemian "Spayde" DuMonde

You will all know that I am stubborn, but I guess you would figure that out eventually.  I finally got time/energy/motivation to recheck this.  The part you are quoting doesn't necessarily refer to the dragon.  While Vlad is reacting to this comment he makes this statement.  "Watching Sethra, I got the impression that she was in psychic contact with someone or other, maybe all the gods at once, so she could direct the battle.  I don't know” From this I assume that when Sethra says "Very well. Leave her alone, we'll adjust."  She is no longer referring to the dragon.  It certainly would make more sense that that was her reply to a psychic conversation that then a response to Aliera.  I thought the "her" was the necromancer because she appears a page later.  It could be anyone though as it is separates from the discussion of the dragon.

You could of course question why Sethra said it out loud, but that’s easily explained.  She is alone a lot and people develop a habit of speaking thoughts out loud when alone.  It might have been easier to say it out loud because she was linked with all of the gods at once.  Or maybe she didn't say it at all but was broadcasting her brainwaves strongly and Vlad caught them so well he thought she was speaking.  (Aliera catches Vlad's brainwaves in one of the books.)

I've also checked the rest of the battle and the dragon is always referred to as it.

That said, I will acknowledge that the dragon might be Devera and now that I think about it makes more since even if I don't like the theory as much.  I hadn't even considered her because I immediately decided it was K.  If I really wanted to I'm sure I could "find" Devera somewhere else because I'm good at putting things in literature that the author doesn't.

Hans refuses to trade his theory in for a better one.