Dragaera

domain hosting?

Sun Sep 28 20:12:23 PDT 2003

On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 08:51:52PM -0500, David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b at dd-b.net> wrote:
> Mark A Mandel <mam at theworld.com> writes:
> > I'm fed up with my ISP, theworld.com, and I'm ready to get my own
> > cracksandshards.com domain, as many people have suggested. I am open to
> > suggestions for good brokers or whatever the word is for the companies
> > you can go to for this, and also warnings for who to stay away from.
> Hosting and domain registry are separate activities; although many
> hosting companies will also register domains for you.
> No bad stories; most of the stuff I host I'm hosting myself on the DSL
> line.  Which is moving towards being over-committed these days.

I also do my own hosting.  I can, however, recommend
DomainDiscover for domain names without reservations.  They're
competent, they don't play legal games with the legal owners of
the domain names, they don't nag you constantly with spam.
However, they aren't the cheapest out there.

An earlier poster recommended against doing your domains through
your web hosting company.  I can't agree more, at least not
unless you are paying out the nose for a really good hosting
company where you are a significant client.  Get your domains
yourself and point them where the hosting company says to.  That
way, if you want to move, you can point them where the new
hosting company says without being held hostage by the old one.

--
Matthew Hunter (matthew at infodancer.org)
Public Key: http://matthew.infodancer.org/public_key.txt