Dragaera

_SL_ cover

Sun Oct 5 09:56:25 PDT 2003

>> Seems like a good cover.
>
>Good in what respect?  Or if you prefer, may I respectfully inquire what you
>consider makes a good cover?

Quoting from the introduction he wrote for the Jhereg graphic novel:

"Every once in a while someone will approach me and say something like,
'Does it bother you that the characters on the covers of your books don't
look like you've described them?'  The brief answer is: No, because he
point of those covers, as far as I'm concerned, is to attract the eye of
the sort of person who will enjoy the books.  That is, insofar as someone
who buys the book for the cover (consciously or not) doesn't feel cheated
when he discovers what sort of story it is, i feel the cover is successful"

Which is a reasonable attitude to take, given that covers are meant to
encourage impulse buys.  Those of us that already read Brust will buy the
book regardless of the cover, so we aren't the intended audience.

Abby