Dragaera

book by its

Tue Oct 7 15:04:40 PDT 2003

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003, Casey Rousseau wrote:

> Steven Brust wrote:
> > As I understand it, blurbs are less designed to appear to
> > readers than to the buyers for various chains and major outlets.
> > Er, if that  doesn't answer your question, you'll have to
> > rephrases it.
>
> to which Philip Hart replied:
> > Hi, what I meant was, Does the cover art/title/back cover matter for the
> > third book of a trilogy?  Will random people actually buy the book?
>
> Ah, but it does not actually matter in the particular and immediate sense
> whether cover art/title/back cover will prompt random people to actually buy
> the book.  The key consideration is whether said items are attractive to the
> big buyers who purchase tens or hundreds of thousands of copies of the book
> to be prominently displayed at all their chain stores, etc.  So, if the
> cover art/title/back cover are of the sort that the buyers think will be
> appealing to the consumer, than it has done its primary job.
>
> To the left, if the covers for an author consistently caused these buyers to
> overpurchase, they would eventually change their 'taste'.
>
> Casey

I'm not making my point very clearly.  Once again - aren't the big buyers
aware that this is book 3 of a trilogy or book 5 really or book 17
perhaps?  Won't they be much more concerned with sales of books 1&2 and
SKZB's track record?  And isn't any residual concern with the packaging
connected to the behaviour of individual purchasers, who I imagine will
definitely buy the book upon seeing "Brust" on the cover if they read 1&2
but not otherwise.  Certainly this cover wouldn't have moved me to buy the
third book of a trilogy at random - the only cover art that might have
done so was that of Heinlein's _Friday_ back when I was 13.