Dragaera

In Regards to LaRPs

Sat Oct 11 04:17:48 PDT 2003

Well...(warning, more geek moments happening, rather longish)

Being the President of the California Chapter of a National LARP group, I
can recommend the following:

First, I _strongly_ suggest having the 'Main Characters' played as NPCs (or
people who are involved in the script/storyline, and have pre-determined
actions/reactions to things that happen in the 'game'). That way you don't
have 17 Adrons and 34 Zerikas all showing up to the game. Shards! I think
that would be confusing.

Second, develop a Really Cool Storyline! Have NPCs (who know the Story) and
PCs (who only know their character), and make it fun, and interesting and
very involving. Have Subplots and Politics, give people hidden Agendas
(Jhereg-style), and in general, give everyone something to do.

Third, get some very strong Role-Players to be the Head of Each House. That
way, those people can help those of us who are unfortunate enough to not
know how to Role-play their way out of a Wet Paper Bag with a Chainsaw.
Also, you will have to have some people who are just 'Moderators' (i.e.
Judges, DMs, GMs, etc.) that do nothing but watch the progress of play, and
try to keep the flow of the game moving. They will handle disputes and must
have relatively good judgement, or know how to take bribes well.

Fourth, one of the draws of LARP games is the combat. Whether it's
Rock-paper-scissors, or hitting each other with Foam/Boffer swords and Bean
bags, people like to fight! The main thing I could see with a Dragaeran
style LARP is LOTS of Duels. The Group I am with (I.F.G.S.) uses safe foam
swords and a combat style very similar to Sabre Fencing (sans the Head and
Groin shots). Other Groups (like Vampire) use Rock-Paper-Scissors. Even
other groups use Dice and 'Roll out' the combats on a nearby table, and
there is even a guy who uses Shuffle Board for his LARP combat/spell casting
system. The options are limitless, but the rules MUST be defined and made
available WAY ahead of time, so everyone plays by the same rules.

Fourth.5, DON'T USE REAL WEAPONS! Death is a pretty big turn off for most
people, and real weapons (although cool), generally do what they are
intended to do, which is hurt people. If you DO go with Combat, make sure it
is 100% safe (/safety bob speech over).

Fifth, define how 'Magic' works. Otherwise you'll have everyone trying to
control Amorphia and turning everyone else inside out. Make it clear, make
it EASY, and make it 'difficult to do the difficult stuff'.

Sixth, remember that everyone wants to be the hero. As such, you will get
several people who try to play 'Vlad Clones', 'Morrolan Clones', 'Sethra
Clones', 'Kieron Clones', etc. Everyone wants to own a Great Sword and have
a series of books written about them, but not everyone can. The point is,
give people things OTHER than Great Weapons and Magic Powers that make them
Special. Running a LARP with 51 Vlad's running around would get old, FAST!

Last, and certainly most important, CATER TO THE FEMALES! If you happen to
get women that want to participate, do NOT turn them away by giving them
lame parts. Give them GREAT parts. Make them integral to the storyline.
LARPing (like most 'gaming') is filled with Male Geeks with no social
skills. Typically, chicks don't dig that. But if a lady is having a good
time with it, she's likely to stick around and add that certain element to
the game that guys just can't add (don't ask me what that element is, I
don't know. I'm a guy).

Personally, I WISH I had the cash to attend I-con, if nothing else than to
try and help you set this up.

GB, if you (or anyone else) has any questions or comments about LARPs, or
the Dragaeran LARPs I have seen/done, feel free to email me privately so we
don't overload the rest of the list with Geek talk.

Daemian Spayde
aka Katt Jean
www.socal.ifgs.org

PS - I did participate in a small Dragearan LARP once, where I was able to
carry on a VERY long conversation with someone else in Paarfi-style-speech,
and all we were talking about was the snacks. That speech was one of the
high-lights of the game for me, but overall I had an AMAZING time.