Dragaera

Joining the Dzur

J A 'Dusty' Sayers dusty at sayersnet.com
Wed Oct 29 17:56:21 PST 2003

I did get the idea that the fact that he was a half-breed and a Jhereg
was at least slightly embarassing to the Dzur--at least the fact that
someone of that background could get into the house, and would then
throw it away, seemed likely to embarass the dickens out of them.  At
least, that's how I read that part of Mellar's scheme in _Jhereg._

I suspect that on the whole, though, someone who earns his way into the
house and comports himself with the dignity (or perhaps the bravura)
expected of a Dzur would be fully, or at least sufficiently, accepted by
them that he could marry one of their daughters and attend their social
functions.  After all, why let someone earn his way in and then treat
him as if he didn't?  Surely that would be beneath the House of
Heroes--if nothing else, they can't admit that someone who beat them
isn't worthy of being treated as an equal; if their inferiors can beat
them, they're in the same fix, more or less, that the Jhereg are if
peoplpe know someone can lift the Council treasury and escape.

At least, that is how I see it.  I could be wrong.  It's a big and
complex world, and I sometimes feel as simple as an Easterner.

--
J A Dusty Sayers

Home Page http://www.sayersnet.com/~dusty/
Rescue the Princess http://www.sayersnet.com/~dusty/rescue/