Dragaera

A thought concerning Skinter's future...

David Silberstein davids at kithrup.com
Mon Nov 3 00:26:16 PST 2003

So I wondered: what will happen to Kâna, also called Skinter, after he
loses?  We know he's going to, of course.

Well, the most likely scenario is that he will lose his head.  But I
had the following notion:

Consider that the driving force behind his strategy, the brains of the
outfit, is really his cousin.

Consider also that perhaps the illegality of his rebellion situation
is a bit uncertain.  Is he in fact being treasonous?  There isn't an
Empire yet for him to be treasonous *to*.

And What if he eventually surrenders?  What if the Empress decides to
show him clemency?  What happens next?

Well, it occurs to me that his House might be sufficiently annoyed
with him that they might well eject him from it.  And either the
Empire or the House might wish to punish him for his overreaching
arrogance by somehow cursing him (using sorcery or elder sorcery or
necromancy, or whatever), by causing him to become a complete
non-entity, well-nigh invisible.

And he might then change his name, and join the Jhereg, and, suffused
with bitterness, vow never to be the one in charge.

As I type this up, it seems more and more farfetched.
But I still think it an amusing notion.