Dragaera

A thought concerning Skinter's future...

David Silberstein davids at kithrup.com
Tue Nov 4 12:48:56 PST 2003

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Matthew Hunter wrote:

>On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 01:05:28AM -0800, David Silberstein
><davids at kithrup.com> wrote:

>> On 3 Nov 2003, Jag wrote:

 [Skinter -> Kragar, perhaps]

>> >It is a rather amusing notion, but I believe I've found a flaw in it.
>> >It was mentioned that due to Kragar's natural ability/curse of being
>> >unnoticed, he was unable to lead in battle, and that was somehow related
>> >to him being thrown out of his original House.

>> Yes, but that wasn't some ex cathedra explanation, that was Kragar's
>> own off-the-cuff explanation - which, I think, even Vlad thought was
>> more than a little fishy.  I won't absolutely accept it until I see
>> Morrolan or Sethra mentioning it.
>>
>> And thinking about it, it doesn't really make sense.  How in hell
>> would he get a command unless he impressed his superiors with his
>> ability to be a commander?  They don't just throw soldiers in the
>> field and tell one of them "Hey, you.  You're in charge.  If you fuck
>> up, you're outta the House." (And how would they have noticed him to
>> do so?)
>
>Actually, they do -- with nobility, at least in our own feudal
>societies.  When you have a heriditary noble in charge, you
>pretty much have to hope that he knows his stuff or else knows
>enough to leave it to those who do.

Well, perhaps.  Assuming he's had this "fade" thing going on for his
whole life, I can see him setting up a trusted liutenant to relay all
his orders, and perhaps, when this trusted liutenant gets killed, he
can't cut it?

>  I can easily see Kragar as the son of someone important, expected
>to be a military leader for that reason alone, and given various
>commands that he manages not to entirely fuck up until he's got the
>chance to *really* get in trouble.

Still "trouble", in the military, usually means death, or possibly
forced retirement from the army itself.  Assuming he didn't do
something that the military would deem deserving of execution,
incompetence alone would probably just get him cashiered.

No matter what his fuckup was, expulsion from House Dragon itself is
very, very unusual.

Hmm.  Now I am reminded of my previous Kragar theory, which is that
he's a half-breed mixed-House of some sort.