Dragaera

Neil Gaiman at slashdot

Wed Nov 5 00:16:23 PST 2003

>On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 06:28:03PM -0800, Steven Brust wrote:
>
> > I've found I've steadily been reading less fiction and more non-fiction.  I
> > have no idea if that's related to writing, or if I'm just getting old
> enough
> > to not have fun any more.

I recently saw a quote from a stand-up (I have no idea which one) "In the
sixties
everyone took acid to make the world look weird.  Now the world *is* weird and
everyone takes Prozac to make it look normal."

I said that to say this...

I too have been reading less fiction and more non-fiction of late.  I
wonder if some
of this has to do with the times we find ourselves living in.  When the
truth was
reasonably easy to find, we could go along certain that the world was
progressing
normally along its bumpy and somewhat crooked road and we could dedicate
time to fun.  Now we have to spend our time digging for the truth and filling
our heads with facts so that we can filter the daily dose of lies and find the
truth behind it.

Then again, maybe not... Maybe it is all about getting old, taking
responsibility
and not getting to have fun anymore.  Naah!

I am fortunate I still have kids (and a wife) who like to have me read to
them at
bed time.  Otherwise I might not be getting any fiction at all.  I just
discovered
the Susan Cooper "Dark is Rising" sequence (yes, I know they came out before
I was born) and am loving them.