Dragaera

Below Hypothesis

Mon Nov 10 17:19:45 PST 2003

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, David Silberstein wrote:
> As a particle physicist, you might get a chuckle out of Anderson's
> short work "Uncleftish Beholding".  It's a bit of a linguistic
> exercise rather than an actual story; the entire text is basic science
> written in Anglo-Saxon or Germanic words and phrases where we would
> use terms from Latin or Greek derived roots.  As you might guess, an
> "uncleft" is an "atom", and it goes on from there.

This is another kind of thing I think about a lot - I believe this piece
comes across as a stunt more than anything else.  Some works - like the
French novel by Perec, translated as A Void (because the work eschews the
letter "e") - turn a literary exercise into something powerful, if one's
tolerance for play is high enough.

For comparison, check out this recent poem, which has two "stunt"
features, but ones which are intended to support the content:
http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~philiph/bagel.htm