Dragaera

Pets (was Re: Vlad, training and the paths of the dead (Issola spoiler))

Talpianna at aol.com Talpianna at aol.com
Thu Nov 13 16:36:26 PST 2003

In a message dated 11/13/2003 5:00:26 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
Randi128 at aol.com writes:
Allergan is a pharmaceutical company, Allegra is the allergy med.

Ooops, sorry! *mole blushes a delicate mauve*

I just caught something in the online news about research being.done to help
determine which medications will help which people, based on genome research.
It was looking more at pain meds, but the same is true for allergy meds:
different ones help different people.  I remember when the news broke about Rush
Limbaugh's addiction: I take oxycodone (sp?) on prescription but have never
been tempted to take it for mood-altering; my housemate, with very severe
rheumatoid arthritis, finds it about as effective as M&Ms.  She takes Benadryl to
help her sleep; it doesn't make me the least bit sleepy.

My primary online hangout is the bulletin board of romance novelist Elizabeth
Lowell, where quite a number of people suffer from migraines and share
information on treatments.  It seems that any given medication will be very
effective for about a third of them, somewhat palliative for another third, and
useless for the rest.  Think of the time and effort that will be saved if they can
just do a gene scan and tell exactly what will work for you.

                                    tal