Dragaera

Concerning Matters Nautical - Patrick O'Brian Spoilers

Sat Nov 15 23:39:25 PST 2003

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003, Steven Brust wrote:

>> David S. wrote:
>  > I just thought I'd mention that if you like this sort of thing, you
> > might very well enjoy "Master and Commander".  Speaking as a 21st-C.
> > landlubber, I think this film went to great lengths to provide an
> > excellent & reasonably realistic reproduction of a 19th-C. naval
> > campaign.

FWIW, Christopher Hitchens (who is often a nut but is at least a diehard
O'Brian fan - see
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/article-preview?article_id=188 ) sort of
pans M&C at http://slate.msn.com/id/2091249/ - in particular because of
the portrayal of Maturin.

> > I also found myself trying assign Dragaeran Houses to the characters.
> > Captain Aubry's tenacity, ferocity & suprising cleverness do seem to
> > be definitely Orca-ish.  Dr. Maturin is very much like a Hawk.
> >
> Good to hear they did a good job.  I'm going to be seeing the movie in the
> next week sometime, I hope.  I'd always figured Jack as a Dragon, actually,
> though certainly you're right--Stephen is a textbook Hawk.

Is that correct?  I thought M had rather Yendi qualities as a spy, maybe
some Athyra, maybe some Dragon or Dzur re duelling.  We're a bit lacking
in Hawks to compare him to, unless we want to consider Daymar typical...

Also note that Jack is not very Orcaish on land - he's got too much
Falstaff in him, and he's too bad with money.  And he's into astronomy,
not a usual Dragaeran pursuit...