Dragaera

Thoughts about Piro and Krytaan....

David Silberstein davids at kithrup.com
Sun Nov 16 23:13:19 PST 2003

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 ReVibe68 at aol.com wrote:

>POSSIBLE SPOILERS

>Ok. at the end of LcCB Piro and Krytaan & CO. go renegade.  Perhaps
>they turn Jhereg. If this is so....Is it possible that Krytaan who's
>a Dragonlord, eventually changes his name to Kragar? And maybe Piro
>becomes the Demon?  I dunno what do y'all think. Am I crazy? Lemme
>kno.

And also:

>What pray tell do you think of my speculation? For you perceive that
>I am awaiting your thoughts with much anticipation.

Well.

Speaking as one who sometimes indulges in parare^W speculation as
well, I nearly think that I have two words to say regarding this
theory.  To begin with, I shall, as did Lord Mailliw of Mahkco at the
battle of Rozar, attack the rear flank before advancing to the fore.

Consider, if you will, that the Demon's age is given as about 800
years old.  Now Piro, assuming he lives until the time of Vladimir
Taltos, would only be about 370 or so.  Clearly, this is far too
young.  But even if we allow that he has aged prematurely, there is
also his looks.  Piro has the appearance of a Tiassa.  The Demon looks
like a Jhereg (or at least, Vlad does not comment otherwise).  In
addition, there is the matter of, hmm, propriety.  Given that Piro is
the Viscount of Adrilankha, I nearly think it would be far too painful
for him to remain in the city, causing embarrassment to his mother and
father (and while he is enraged at them, you will note that he wished
to distance himself from them, not cause them shame in their own
city).  There is also the matter of behavior:  While Piro might act as
a road agent in order to express his rage, I cannot see him accepting
the role of Jhereg so throroughly as to induldge in such great amount
of murder and other base crimes as the Demon did.  Finally, there is a
certain inconsistency between the first part of your thesis and the
second:  Kragar looks at the Demon with no recognition.  If he were
Kytraan, would he not give at least some sign of recognition?

Moving now to the matter of Kytraan, well, you perceive that Kragar's
most notable feature is his lack of feature; his complete "fade" from
peoples' senses.  You will note that Kytraan does not have this
feature.  In addition, Kragar has some small skill at research and
insight.  While Kytraan may have learned this in the 222 years that
have presumably passed, still, it remains a point of difference.
Finally, there is the matter of the House.  *Is* running off to become
a road agent a crime which is sufficiently bad to warrant expulsion,
yet not death?  Well, we do not know.

In sum, I think there is nearly a complete lack of evidence for this
theory, yet, you perceive, the first part is not totally impossible,
although the two parts together are so unlikely as to be vanishingly
improbable.

If it turns out that you are correct, well, we shall all, of
necessity, be obliged to celebrate your perspicacity.