Dragaera

Thoughts about Piro and Krytaan....

David Silberstein davids at kithrup.com
Tue Nov 18 11:31:20 PST 2003

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Mark A Mandel wrote:

>On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 ReVibe68 at aol.com wrote:
>
>#Of course you fail.  That is why you don't perceive Khaavren as a
>#bully. I believe that marking someone on both cheeks with your
>#sword, whose trying to actually help YOU could be considered to be
>#somewhat unfair. Perhaps one could say that such action is highly
>#impetous as well as foolhardy.
>
>If I recall correctly, that was not Khaavren, but a woman who was in
>command earlier in the action. (My books are currently packed away.)

You do indeed recall correctly.

I have found the scene you are thinking of (/Teckla/, ch. 9, pg. 119
(Ace ed.)), and, interestingly, it is not Khaavren and Vlad, but
rather a Lieutenant of the Phoenix Guards and Herth.

Herth, as readers may not recall, is the bad guy in that story.

When Vlad meets Khaavren in /Teckla/ (ch. 16, pg. 209 (Ace ed.)), all
he says is:

   "There will be no trouble.  It was a mistake.  These Easterners are
   going to leave now.  I just want to tell you that."

And that is the end of it.  Khaavren neither deigns to speak to him,
nor raises his weapon.

I also looked in /Phoenix/, and all I could find regarding Khaavren
was that the Brigadier of the Phoenix Guards had in fact resigned,
apparently in protest over the handling of the whole conscription
and uprising business.

So, to hammer the point home, there is indeed no evidence whatsoever
that Khaavren is, was, or indeed ever shall be, a bully.  Quite the
opposite, in fact.