Dragaera

Vlad as Prince Hal?

Sun Nov 30 08:41:49 PST 2003

> ... although Hal emerges from Falstaff's underworld with a sense of life
> and of the common man, his greatest political gain is the flexibility that
> he has acquired as sidekick to the playful Falstaff. Unlike his grave
> father or his rigid, humorless brother Prince John, Hal knows how to
> improvise, how to stay alert to the world around him, and - as we see in
> his manipulation of soldiers and ambassadors in Henry V - how to be what
> others need him to be.
>
> http://www.newyorker.com/critics/theatre/

:-)  And they each have a deep, if ambivalent, relationship with their
deity.

I think that the major difference (well, besides social station) is that
Vlad doesn't have any PowerLust, and Hal, though he sometimes equivocates,
clearly does.  He complains about being King, but there's no way he'd
ever give it up.  Vlad, on the other hand, walked away from a considerable
amount of power, albeit under some duress.  I think there's no question
that, should Vlad's desires have pointed him in such a direction, he
might have been the first Easterner on the Jhereg Council (which is as
close as "King" as the setting probably allows him).

Alexx

Opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily those of my employers.
alexx at carolingiaSPAMBL@CK.org                http://www.panix.com/~alexx
"CJE's LitCrit Rule of Thumb #12: Any story that needs a diagram to
 explain it needs a decent editor far more."