Dragaera

OSC on the virtues of writer's block

Fri Dec 5 00:01:29 PST 2003

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Matthew Hunter wrote:

> Consider one of the most ancient (known) bodies of "tradition" in
> our history, that of Judaism.  There are many elements of the
> Jewish tradition that are wholly practical; I shall put forth
> kosher food as an excellent example.  Nowadays, we can look at
> the traditions concerning kosher food and understand that food
> prepared in that specific way was less prone to disease or
> spoilage than foods prepared in other ways.  (I don't know enough
> about kosher to give any really good examples).

I think this is arguable - most things appear (from a secular perspective)
to be considered unclean because they don't fit someone's category of
what's natural in terms of scales or foot structure - maybe pigs with
trichinosis were worth avoiding, and maybe milk has some bad chemical
reaction with beef on wooden plates, I don't know - or squeamishness about
blood.  To me the greatest advantage of these laws was that it set the
community apart from their neighbors, as did circumcision.  This
separation probably brought a lot of persecution but a lot of cohesion as
well.

On the other hand, maybe G*d thinks it's bad to eat rabbits and scallops
and llamas, as well as golden retrievers, and maybe G*d wasn't clear about
swordfish because He hadn't thought about it.