Dragaera

OSC on the virtues of writer's block

Fri Dec 5 09:45:59 PST 2003

>  To me the greatest advantage of these laws was that it set the
> community apart from their neighbors, as did circumcision.  This
> separation probably brought a lot of persecution but a lot of cohesion as
> well.

There is an intriguing and relevant evolutionary theory that this reminds
me of.

Consider the problem of introducing genetic change to a population.  If
the population is very large, and interbreeds essentially at random, then
mutations, even favorable ones, will tend to get "damped out", and vanish
before having a chance to become part of the general genome.  Such a
species is very stable, but less likely to be able to adapt quickly to
the next environmental change.

One "solution" to this, which evolution appears to have "invented", is
Culture.  That is, an arbitrary set of behaviours that seperates the
species into small breeding pools.  These pools are small enough that
favorable mutations will often spread throughout the pool, rather than
be damped out by widespread interbreeding.

But this is only useful to the species as a whole if there is a small
tendency to breed *outside* of the cultural pool also; say, one or two
instances in any given generation.  This allows the established-in-
one-pool favorable mutations to hop over to a neighboring pool, and
perhaps establish themselves there.  By such hops, a truly favorable
mutation can gradually spread to the whole species.

This theory was originally come up with to explain observations of
culture groups in lower primates.  They had Culture groups based on
specific patterns of behavior that seemed completely unrelated to
evolutionary fitness, until seen in this larger scale of species-wide
evolution.

If true, this theory has some interesting implications.  Language
evolved as a tool for easy differentiation of Culture, not because of
intelligence.  And our tendency to villify (but occasionally romanticize)
the Alien, is actually an expression of an evolutionary imperative that
is older than the words which could explain it.

[Please note that I don't think this *excuses* racial predjudice.  I
do think it goes a long way towards *explaining* it, however...]

Alexx

Opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily those of my employers.
alexx at carolingiaSPAMBL@CK.org                http://www.panix.com/~alexx
"If you achieve success, you will get applause.  Enjoy it --
 but never quite believe it."         -- Robert Montgomery