Dragaera

OSC on the virtues of writer's block

Fri Dec 5 12:49:02 PST 2003

Matthew Hunter writes:
  Actually, tradition is useful in precisely those situations where
  we do not understand its genesis or the context in which it
  originated.  That is, tradition is the force that argues for
  continuing to do things the way that *is known to work* (at
  least, for evolutionary values of "work") rather than changing
  something that we think we understand as being safe to change...
  but are not necessarily correct.

A scientific people would prefer to understand why things are done a
certain way, not necessarily to change it, but to see if there is room
for improvement.

You'll never see me argue with results, and i do lots of things by
tradition at work (one example is the classic "sync && sync &&
reboot"), but i'd rather understand what's going on behind it.

  You should try to understand the root causes of a particular
  tradition before advocating it be tossed out, but that
  understanding is not required in order for the tradition to be
  useful; in fact, the tradition is most useful in the absence of
  understanding.

You're almost implying, it seems, that once you understand the process
behind a tradition, you destroy the tradition, much in the way that
explaining a joke destroys the joke.

rone
--
"I don't even know you.  What if you're a psycho?"
"Would a psycho waste the last of his triple-sec?"