Dragaera

Question on "Pressing"

Fri Dec 12 12:32:38 PST 2003

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, David Silberstein wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Philip Hart wrote:
>
> >Is it Zelazny's book _Doorways in the Sand_ where we see a duel
> >between two expert swordsmen, the duel consisting entirely of the men
> >circling each other looking for an deadly advantage?  I remember one
> >dueler saying, "You almost had me there" at some point, though
> >nothing visible changed.
>
> I think you are thinking of ROADMARKS, and the combatants are not
> swordsmen but rather bare-hand martial artists, changing their stances
> as they circled each other.  One is an enhanced cyborg soldier, the
> other was a monk (who was probably something else before he was a
> monk). [Google] The soldier was Archie Shellman, the monk was Timyin
> Tin.
>
> The only martial arts I can recall from DOORWAYS IN THE SAND was
> someone who was rather handy with the shillelagh.

Hmm, Google on those terms gives me zilch.

Anyway, yeah, _Roadmarks_.  I now remember enough of _DitS_ to know I
would have remembered the scene more clearly in that book.  I've only
got two or three accessible memories from _Roadmarks_.

Re Zelazny, has anyone read _Lord Demon_, about Kai Wren, Godslayer?
Amazon readers seem to think it wasn't a successful reconstruction of a
fragment.  I wonder if GS was a reference to SKZB - some of the plot seems
to allude to _To Reign in Hell_.