Dragaera

"Zelany's" _Lord Demon_

Fri Dec 12 14:00:09 PST 2003

Nobody wrote like Zelazny, therefore, the colaborations usually ventured
away from his trademark spare descriptions, lyrical prose, and breathless
pacing.  I remember that _Coils_ with Fred Saberhagen wasn't too bad, but I
never finished _Deus Irae_ and can't read any of the most recent things.

johne (phy) cook
wisconsin, usa

aerie blog: http://aeriepress.blogspot.com/

"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man."
- Jedediah Springfield

>From: ljenab at sunflower.com
>To: Jot Powers <books at bofh.com>
>CC: Dragaera List <dragaera at dragaera.info>
>Subject: re: "Zelany's" _Lord Demon_
>Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 15:19:48 -0600
>
>>Jot Powers <books at bofh.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Re Zelazny, has anyone read _Lord Demon_, about Kai Wren, Godslayer?
> > Amazon readers seem to think it wasn't a successful reconstruction of a
> > fragment.  I wonder if GS was a reference to SKZB - some of the plot
>seems
> > to allude to _To Reign in Hell_.
>
>I actually just read it.  Picked it up used, recognized that it was likely
>less Zelany than the other author.  I enjoyed it.  It had clear Zelany
>elements, but was obviously filled in by someone who was not, but that
>made it a bit more accessible.  In my mind, Zelany can sometimes be
>a challenging read.
>
>Of course, my all time favorite Zelany is _Lord of Light_, so I may
>not be the best person to ask.
>
>-Jot
>

>I haven't had much luck with books co-authored by Zelazny.  They lack the
>snap of his solo work.  Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but on average I
>think the joint works are considerably longer and more . . . diffuse.
>
>LJ

Our best dial-up offer is back.  Get MSN Dial-up Internet Service for 6
months @ $9.95/month now! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup