Dragaera

Paarfi, Vlad, TPG & the OED

David Silberstein davids at kithrup.com
Sun Dec 14 02:20:43 PST 2003

One of the things that might be an inconsistency in the tales of
Dragaera is that Vlad (and Cawti) appear to be familiar with
Paarfi's works, despite the fact that /The Phoenix Guards/ seems
to have been published 80 or 90 years after Vlad's current time.
I belive I have found a reasonable explanation.

A few weeks ago, I watched a cable show on CSPAN called "BookTV",
which, as it turns out, is archived on the web:

   http://www.booktv.org/history/index.asp?schedid=228&segid=4079

This particular reading was by Simon Winchester on the history of
the Oxford English Dictionary. I highly recommend watching it if
you have Realplayer.  Mr. Winchester is a very amusing speaker,
full of snarky asides and humorous lexographic anecdotes, e.g.
(apropos Aubrey & Maturin), one of the quotes is as follows:

   RETREAT is the order in which a French fleet retires
   before an enemy.  As it is not properly a term of the
   British Marine, any fuller account would be entirely
   out of place.
    -- A Dictionary of Marine Terms, Faulkener (sp?), 18th Cent

At any rate, one of the points that Mr. Winchester made is
that the OED was not published all in one go, but rather in
parts called "fascicles" (which the OED itself defines as:
2. A part, number, 'livraison' (of a work published by
instalments)[1])

(as also confirmed here:
    http://dictionary.oed.com/about/history.html
)

So for example, Volume A-Ant was published on Jan. 1 1884,
but the entire work was not completed until 4 decades later.

I think it not unreasonable that /The Phoenix Guards/ was
being released in fascicles, and these are what Cawti and
Vlad had read.  After all, academics need to eat, and given
the leisurely pace at which this work is being researched
and written, I think it very nearly necessary to publish
the parts as they become available, only to be published
in combined book form when the work is finally finished.

[1] And might I note that it is vaguely worrisome when the
venerable OED has a misspelling...