Dragaera

"empire"

David Gunderson azarule at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 22 21:23:49 PST 2003

How about if in times immemorial the different houses/peoples were conquered
into an empire by one species of Dragaeran ?  I don't *think* anything's
been said to contradict that yet.

|If we shadows have offended, think but this, and all is mended: you  |
|have but slumbered here while these visions did appear. And this     |
|weak and idle theme, no more yielding but a dream. Gentles, do not   |
|reprehend. If you pardon, we will mend.                              |

>From: David Silberstein <davids at kithrup.com>
>To: Dragaera List <dragaera at dragaera.info>
>Subject: Re: "empire"
>Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 21:06:43 -0800 (PST)
>
>On Mon, 22 Dec 2003, Philip Hart wrote:
>
> >]From J.M. Roberts's _Twentieth Century_:
> >
> >]"It is the essence of empire that it rules over many peoples..."
>
> >He points out that Queen Victoria assumed the title of Empress in
> >reference to India.  The Dragaeran Empire includes a few islands but
> >nothing comparable to a distant, larger, more populous country.
>
> >Anyway, to me the Empire seems more like a big Kingdom under this
> >definition, given the ethnic cleansing of the Serioli and perhaps
> >the cat-centaurs.
> >

>That does seem to be the usual standard of applying the term, as I
>think of it.  The only counterexample I can think of is the Chinese
>Empire, which might have aquired the term simply due to sheer size -
>so perhaps for the same reason, the Dragaeran Empire.
>
>But I may be mistaken about China.

Worried about inbox overload? Get MSN Extra Storage now!
http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es