Dragaera

disturbing thought

David Silberstein davids at kithrup.com
Wed Dec 31 17:54:56 PST 2003

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003, Philip Hart wrote:

>It just occurred to me that if Dragaerans have access to experience of
>their past lives, presumably they have access to their time being
>forcibly evolved by the J, about as horrible an ordeal as a people
>could undergo.  This would I imagine lead to strong feelings among the
>elite (at least) against the J.

Perhaps.  We don't know how long this "recall past lives" thing has
been going on, though.  What if it's something only possible recently,
with the advent of Orb 2.0?  Although recalling past lives smack to me
as being more of necromancy than sorcery.

>A side issue - I wonder if Tortaalik's soul is in the Paths or has been
>reincarnated.  It would be interesting to query it about certain aspects
>of events leading up to the Disaster.

[Mild spoiler for /The Lord of Castle Black/ ahead:]

Before tLoCB came out, I speculated that perhaps Laszlo was a
Dragaeran that Zerika fell in love with during the Interregnum,
who had subsequently died and reincarnated during Vlad's era as an
Easterner, based on Zerika's comment (in /Phoenix/) about Laszlo being
her lover because that is where her lover's soul resides - a gnomic
comment if there ever was one.

As we have now seen, Laszlo was apparantly alive even back in the days
of tLocB. [1] While he may have lived through to the current day, or
gone through succesive incarnations as an Easterner, I now find myself
wondering if Laszlo's soul is nevertheless the incarnation of a
Dragaeran; perhaps, in fact, of someone else of the House of the
Phoenix (not necessarily Tortaalik, but still).

We don't know what happened to Allistar; while he was allegedly
banished along with his sister, he is mysteriously absent from
anything told about her.  That's the only Phoenix we know of - besides
Princess Loudin, of course - who might have not perished in the
Disaster (although he presumably died at some point afterward).

Besides, Tortaalik might well be Zerika's Grandpapa, which would not
preclude the possibility, but nevertheless.

[1] Of course, it may be that Paarfi is being Paarfi again.