Dragaera

Vallista

David Silberstein davids at kithrup.com
Thu Jan 1 13:18:31 PST 2004

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, David Silberstein wrote:

>Speaking of Vallista, I find myself wondering just how inventive
>they are.  This ties in to the whole notion of technology on
>Dragaera possibly being limited by the intervention of the gods,
>or by demons, or by the Orb, or by the Jenoine or *something*.
>After 200,000 years, they've just barely invented bows & arrows?
>
>Are Vallista who are too creative (or are too creative in certain
>areas, such as military applications of chemistry or basic mechanics)
>just disappeared?

Another thought about Vallista:  Perhaps it is the Vallista Council
who are the final arbiters of what technologies may be used in the
Empire (and they are presumably backed by the laws of the Empire), and
all Vallista are presumably bound to abide by their decisions.  So
perhaps the Vallista know about bows, and maybe even gunpowder, and
have know of such things for many Cycles now - but they make sure that
no-one *uses* it.

Fornia may have been due to suffer penalties for using bows in his
campaign, but perhaps the penalty would have been light enough (for
such fairly simple tech) that he figured it was worth the risk.

The question arises about how they might prevent such inventions from
arising in the East, but perhaps there are Vallista agents of the
Empire who keep an eye on technologies outside the Empire, and are
licensed to destroy anything too advanced or being used in a way they
don't like, along with the hapless inventors.  Or perhaps the
inventors are conscripted into House Vallista, and kidnapped into the
Empire, where they may work on inventions under the Vallista Council's
strict supervision, thereby increasing the Vallista's knowledgebase
while being under their control.