Dragaera

the pitfalls of judgmental law enforcement

Thu Jan 8 12:52:35 PST 2004

not that i necessarily believe in aiding speeders, but weren't the cops doing
something illegal?  isn't hiding in the bushes to catch people called
entrapment?  that's why you usually see them sitting in plain site with their
lights on.

                      Randi128 at aol.com
                                               To:       dragaera at dragaera.info
                      01/08/2004 03:27         cc:
                      PM                       Subject:  Re: the pitfalls of judgemental law enforcement

In a message dated 01/08/2004 3:20:16 PM Eastern Standard Time,
juliette_torres at yahoo.com writes:

> http://www.ahwatukee.com/afn/community/articles/040107d.html
> -- Police have been hiding in the bushes catching
> speeders along the road behind my house. Some guy put
> up a sign warning of a speed trap, and they arrested
> him for it. He then spent an hour handcuffed in their
> car while they tried to figure out what they were
> citing him with. They decided on Obstructing a
> Government Operation, but this was thrown out two
> weeks later on account of that article specifically
> stating, Obstructing a Government Operation by Threat
> or Use of Physical Violence. Putting up a sign is not
> violent.
>
> This reminds me strongly of the passage in The Phoenix
> Guards (pg. 44, PB):
> ---
> "Very well," said the Captain, "you are to enforce the
> laws of the Empire."
>
> "And what laws are these, Captain?" asked Aerich.
>
> "Heh," said G'aereth. "Use your judgement. If it looks
> illegal, then it probably is."
> ---
>
> The really ironic thing is that now there are huge,
> official signs along Pecos Rd. warning of "Intense
> Speed Enforcement, next 7 miles."
>
> ~Juliette Torres

I don't know what they would charge him with, probably obstruction of
justice. I'm sure theres at least one lawyer on the list who could name the
specific
law. The bottom line is that the man who put up the sign was aiding people who
were breaking the law. If they were speeding through a residential
neighboorhood, someone could be killed or injured as a result of their
recklesness.

John D. Barbato, OD