Dragaera

the pitfalls of judgemental law enforcement

Steve Simmons scs at di.org
Thu Jan 8 13:32:54 PST 2004

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 01:07:30PM -0800, lazarus wrote:

> I've heard that some police departments have taken advantage of the
> spread of radar detectors in a similar fashion.  They place empty
> police cars at various changing locations, with a radar gun set in the
> On position inside.  When a speeder hears his detector go off, he
> slows down.  Works better than a speed bump.  :-)

There are places in Indiana where they put up "We Are Watching You"
signs with outlines of helicopters, cops with a radar gun, etc.  They
don't actually have those things, they just have a the signs.  At
the time it was a standard item available from the state highway folks,
no radar or helicopter purchase required.

Mind you, the locals figured it out pretty quick.
--
   "I try not to sound old and cynical, but it's hard to do that when
you're old and cynical."