Dragaera

the pitfalls of judgemental law enforcement

Mon Jan 12 23:03:29 PST 2004

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 04:32:54PM -0500, Steve Simmons wrote:

> There are places in Indiana where they put up "We Are Watching You"
> signs with outlines of helicopters, cops with a radar gun, etc.  They
> don't actually have those things, they just have a the signs.  At
> the time it was a standard item available from the state highway folks,
> no radar or helicopter purchase required.

There were (are?) signs in rural Oklahoma that read: "Watch your
[silhouette of an airplane] we are [silhouette of a police cruiser]"  As
a child or five or so I wondered what specific aviation hazard was being
warned against, and what possible use such a sign could have down on the ground.

Kat