Dragaera

Kelly's Movement

David Silberstein davids at kithrup.com
Mon Jan 19 13:43:02 PST 2004

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Matthew Klahn wrote:

>So, while Kelly felt justified because he thought he was going to
>improve the lives of everyone else, he wasn't "thinking it through":
>it appears that you can't go against the Cycle, and he should have
>realized that.

Perhaps he had in mind that the Cycle could be subordinated to a
People's Republic.  Consider the weakened monarchy that exists now in
England, while it is the Prime Minister and Parliament who mostly
control things.  And yet not too long ago, England was as strong a
bastion for the Divine Right of Kings as any place ever was.

So perhaps he has in mind that the Houses and the Emperor will still
exist after the Revolution, but in a much less powerful and absolute
role, changing with the Cycle if need be, but never abrogating the
rights of the people.  There will probably be a place for the House of
Nobles (equivalent to the House of Lords, containing representatives
of all of the other Houses), but the greater role would be given to
the House of Commons (Teckla and Easterners).

>And, if I'm not mistaken, he may have spoken to Verra about the whole
>thing, and that would make it even MORE foolish to believe that he
>could go against the Cycle. But, maybe there is no evidence that
>those two met, but it seemed to be implied in Phoenix, at least to
>me.

I think I remember the same thing you do.  When Verra talks to Vlad
about Kelly's movement - including the stuff about him finding ancient
texts from another world and time - I think she says that she tried
talking to Kelly directly, and he wouldn't listen.  Although I am not
sure what that means - did she manifest to him?  Send him a dream of
warning?  I don't recall that she said specifically.

I don't agree that it is necessarily foolish to go against the Gods -
after all, given all we've seen of them, they are certainly neither
omniscient nor omnibenevolent nor unbiased.  Perhaps Kelly knew of
Miklos' and Bolcsesseg's successful actions against Verra, and had in
mind that revolting against the Gods was not entirely out of question.