Dragaera

Dzur and Sex

Fri Jan 23 23:52:53 PST 2004

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Jeffrey Kiok wrote:

> > I think the taboo is not sleeping across the tracks
> > but marrying/hybridizing across the tracks.  I don't
> > recall anyone being shy about noting the former.
>

> Don't we learn, in Teckla, when Vlad talks to Cheryl about her former
> job as a prostitute, and Vlad mentions that to dragaereans,
> prostitution and sex itself is viewed very differently.  I'm not quite
> sure how to articulate it, except that to dragaereans sex is entirely
> separate from marriage.

(Aside, please include the attribution - I remember that I wrote what
you're responding to under the influence, and can hence blithely ignore
it.)

Note that at the time Vlad's knowledge of Dragaerans was more or less
limited to criminals, users of criminal services, and a few probably
wildly iconoclatsic nobles.  Perhaps Aerich smiles on prostitution,
perhaps Tazendra turned a few tricks in her youth - but I wouldn't count
on it.

> Of course, using a sort of contrary logic, if the taboo WERE for
> sleeping across the tracks, how would a house of prostitution work in
> the Organization?  Would some of the "tags" be Jhereg, others Teckla,
> etc., etc.

This is a nice point but not it seems to me relevant given my above view.