Dragaera

Dzur and Sex

Mon Jan 26 16:44:02 PST 2004

>Question to biologists - is it usual for a scavenger to be poisonous? Are
>there even any examples?  I thought that was a feature of predators. Maybe
>the scavenger bit is more a sideline that Vlad emphasizes for ribbing.

There are only two examples I can think of:  the Komodo dragon and
related lizards (monitors and the like)--and a single bird who's name
escapes me.

of course dragons and monitor lizards aren't actually
poisonous--there teeth just harbor a dizzying array of bacteria--so
much so that a bite from either is frequently fatal, even though the
wound itself is very minor.  Victims die of sepsis.  I worked with
monitors, and the list of vaccinations needed if your were bitten was
upwards of 27.

Evolutionarily speaking, there is no reason for a scavenger to be
poisonous, as there food is already dead.

--
Department of Biological Sciences
Palumbi Lab
jalipaz at stanford.edu
phone: 831-655-6210

              Often statistics are used as drunken men use lampposts...
                                     for support rather than illumination.
                                                              Albert Einstein