Dragaera

Dzur and Sex

Mon Jan 26 18:01:12 PST 2004

>  >
>>  Evolutionarily speaking, there is no reason for a scavenger to be
>>  poisonous, as there food is already dead.
>>

>What about for defensive purposes as well as competion for food?  Not being
>a biologist of any sort, it still seems to me that an animal who can poison
>other animals has a powerful defense mechanism, and in addition, being able
>to drive off other perhaps larger scavangers would allow the animal to have
>a better supply of food.

   most of these lizards invoke so much fear in everything around them
that nothing preys on them, including humans.  komodo dragons appear
to be immune to each others bite--so competition is not an issue, and
on the island of komodo, there is nothing bigger--they are by the way
the largest lizard in the world.

jaa