Dragaera

domesticated animals

Wed Feb 4 15:36:13 PST 2004

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Bryan Newell wrote:

> Pardon me if I jump in here unannounced:
>
> >> If the plagues come _from_ the East and only hit Dragaera because its
> >> various protections have failed, then that would be a wonderful
> >> precursor to invasion - even invasion embodied simply by natural
> >> expansion to fill the voids left behind by dead outlying Dragaeran
> >> communities.
> >
> >In _FHYA_, pg 546 of the ppb, Paarfi writes that after the Disaster
> >"the first seeds of the Great Plagues were beginning in Adrilankha,
> >Candletown, Northport, Branch, and Tirinsar."
>
> I don't believe Branch or Tirinsar are mentioned elsewhere, but the other
> three are all port cities...

I assumed that at least the other three were cited as large cities - ports
tend to be the largest cities, at least until very recently.  OTOH
Northport didn't strike me as large in _Orca_.

> Has anyone run across a reference to the Empire trading with Easterners
> over water?  I can't think of any.

I believe _Brokedown Palace_ gives a bit of evidence to that effect at the
end.  I have a vague memory of someone talking about an E-D sea battle
around Adrilankha.