Dragaera

domesticated animals

Mark A Mandel mam at theworld.com
Thu Feb 5 13:50:15 PST 2004

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Jose Marquez wrote:

#It makes sense. Dragaerans appear to use cleaning spells to dispose of
#trash and wastes (at least in Vlad's time, so insert margin of error
#here); it had to go somewhere during the Interregnum, and it couldn't go
#into the overcast... Wouldn't that be a recipe for plagues?

Oh, bravo! An excellent idea!!

When Brust said that the Overcast was the result of using magic to throw
out the garbage for 200,000 years, I didn't take that to mean literally
that the Overcast *was* what became of the garbage -- although that
would be a neat explanation for Rocza's holding her breath as she flies
through it. I took "throw out the garbage" there as shorthand to refer
to using magic for every little thing in life: so much use of magic that
whatever waste products resulted from the magical process *itself*
accumulated faster than they could dissipate or degrade, becoming the
Overcast. -- But that just was my interpretation. So I applaud you
again, for another excellent idea.

-- Mark A. Mandel
   http://cracksandshards.com
   a Steven Brust Dragaera fan website