Dragaera

Brust weblog entry

Matthew Klahn mklahn at mac.com
Sat Feb 7 14:18:58 PST 2004

On Feb 7, 2004, at 14:29 , Warlord wrote:

> I'm a PC user as well. Gateway wasn't bad, back in the day, but now....
> I'm building my own now. High end intel motherboard, P4/ 3.+
> multithread,
> 2GB dual channel memory, raided SATA drives. Control-alt-delete is
> going to work *fast* :)

> "I've never used a MAC, but I understand they emulate Windows pretty
> well."

Actually, Windows licensed it's "look and feel" from Apple, way back in
1985, I believe. This was a spectacularly dumb idea by then CEO
Sculley, who gave Microsoft carte blanche to copy anything they wanted
>from the Mac GUI in future software products. References:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Microsoft_Windows
http://bitter.custard.org/mac/hist/

Anyway, not to start a Mac/PC flamewar, since it's so completely
off-topic to this list, but I thought that you might want to learn a
little history.

For those people that don't want to have to build their own PC, Macs
are great computers. For those who want a UNIX environment and don't
want to build their own OS, Mac OS X is a great OS. For those who want
to have their system lock up on a weekly basis, and want to have to
reinstall their OS on a bi-monthly basis, there's Windows. In fact, one
reason that PC users need 3 GHz+ processors is so they can get work
done while their machine is constantly scanned for viruses... :)

--
Matthew S. Klahn
Software Architect, CodeTek Studios, Inc.