Dragaera

Brust weblog entry

Matthew Klahn mklahn at mac.com
Sun Feb 8 09:40:32 PST 2004

On Feb 7, 2004, at 17:40 , Matthew Hunter wrote:

> I've been trying to keep my nose out of this, but UNIX can run on
> PCs.  A "PC" is a hardware platform, or more accurately, a
> widely-produced, mostly-compatible hardware platform based on the
> x86 architecture and IBM's original thrown-together "personal
> computer".

Been there, done that. Running Linux was my bread & butter for years,
and in fact, I had to fight to run Linux instead of Win NT 4.0 at a job
where I was doing UNIX programming for a living, go figure. I've
matured to the point where I know all the low-level crap that I want to
about UNIX, and have long passed the point where I care to muck around
with UNIX internals on a weekly basis. I _can_ do that if I want to on
Mac OS X, but I don't _have_ to, which is a major improvement. And,
user-land stuff in Linux/FreeBSD is a nightmare. If I never have to try
to keep up with library X so I can run a decently stable version of
applications Y and Z (that rely upon different minor versions of
library X), I will be happy. In fact, I've recently had to do some X11
programming for Mac OS X (for work, not by choice), and therefore had
to install GTK+ and a ton of other libraries just to get a newsreader
to install. I swear I had to fix about 10 different libraries just so
they would compile, and no they weren't porting problems. They were
just your run-of-the-mill open source project problems: things
half-implemented and that in a completely broken way.

> Don't sneer at PC users; the hardware platform wasn't exactly a
> miracle of original design, but these days it isn't bad at all,
> and the price is hard to beat.  There are hardware platforms I
> would want more -- I think the PowerPC processors are better
> designed -- but I'm not willing to pay more in order to be locked
> into the Mac operating system.

Price is hard to beat, but I use my computer to make money, not to make
the computer work. In fact, I now (because of Linux) HATE mucking
around with endless configuration files to tweak something just so it
will work. One benefit of Mac OS X (and Windows) is that the
environment is rather standard (for Windows, I mean for a given
flavor), so I don't have to recompile a bunch of stuff just so it will
work properly. Installing software via drag & drop is so much nicer
than any mechanism in any Linux distro (RPM, dpkg, tgz) or having "DLL
Hell" and registry problems on Windows.

> Sneer at Microsoft users all you want; they deserve it.
>
> I will also note for the record that I have used Macs, both
> before and after OS X, and don't like using either.  Their user
> interface always makes an effort to get in my way.  I can see how
> people whose business is not working with computers like them,
> but I can hardly stand to use one for more than a few minutes.
> I feel pretty much the same about windows.

My buisness is not only working with computers, but also helping other
people work with computers. Of course there are annoyances; you will
find them on any platform. For me, the annoyances in Mac OS X are just
that: annoyances. On Windows they were crippling and on Linux were
merely tedious to the point of disgusting. And, most of the features of
Mac OS X are configurable, since a lot of people like to customize
their machines to the nth degree. You just need to do a little research
on the platform, or buy an O'Reilly book or two (Mac OS X Hacks, for
example, though all of this info is available for free on the web, if
you want to do a little legwork). And don't try to argue that you
wouldn't have to do any research on another UNIX system to do the same
amount of customization: you're right. You'd have to do a lot more
research through much worse documentation and be told "read the source
code" a couple of dozen times if you have any questions.

> Strangely enough, I'm one of those users for whom UNIX
> (specifically, Linux) gets the interface *right*.  If someone
> would get their act together and release an open-hardware,
> PowerPC based system optimized for Linux, I'd be there in a
> heartbeat.

Well, you do have roughly seventy gajillion interfaces to choose from,
so I guess you've got me there. After messing around with the 30th
interface that STILL doesn't work the way you want to, it gets
tiresome... I, myself, progressed this way: WindowMaker ->
Enlightenment -> IceWM -> BlackBox -> WindowMaker -> Sawfish -> Fluxbox
-> WindowMaker; even though WM didn't do everything I wanted, it was
good enough. Anyway, all this to say that while choice is good, if most
of the choices are worse than getting poked in the forehead with a
sharp stick, it's not good anymore.

--
Matthew S. Klahn
Software Architect, CodeTek Studios, Inc.