Dragaera

Mailing list vs. forum (was: warning to newbies)

Frank Mayhar frank at exit.com
Tue Feb 10 11:37:44 PST 2004

Jim Millen wrote:
> rec.arts.sf.written.steven-brust, perhaps?

Sure, do a CFV.  I won't subscribe, though.

> Although this is certainly a busy list, not entirely sure there is
> enough interest to justify newsgroup creation.  Worth a poll for
> opinions though.

Typically, with the sole exception of the Risks Digest, creation of a
newsgroup to replace a mailing list has spelled the doom of the
mailing list.

You want a newsgroup, gateway the mailing list into a local one.  Don't
force the rest of us into the same situation.

And can we please drop the MAC-versus-PC and forum-versus-mailing list
arguments.  Oh, not to mention the crap about how Outlook is wonderful
and text-based mailers are obsolete.  I'm using a text-based mailer
(and editing this in vi) RIGHT NOW.

Sure, the arguments about who Mario isn't and whether Paarfi has yet been
sliced into little pieces by Aliera can be tiresome, but at least they
are ON TOPIC.

Feh, indeed.
--
Frank Mayhar frank at exit.com	http://www.exit.com/