Dragaera

Mailing List Etiquette

Gaertk at aol.com Gaertk at aol.com
Tue Feb 10 16:59:55 PST 2004

"Bryan Newell" <bryann at bryann.net> writes:

> 1. When I reply to a message on this list, should I be
> replying to both the user and the mailing list, or just the
> list?

I only reply to the list.  Getting duplicates is mildly
annoying (mainly from the time it takes to realise I've
already read this), but it's no big deal.  I believe people
using Real Email Software don't even see the duplicates.

> 2. I recently sent in a couple of very large messages; they
> were large because they were attempts to "deduce" the
> geography of Dragaera by using a lot of text quotes from
> the novels, and explaining my subsequent deductions
> as clearly as possible without, hopefully, being pedantic.
> Should I limit my posts to a certain size (ie, break up
> long posts into shorter ones)?

It won't be a problem for me until you get up to about 3MB
(which is equivalent to the full text of the first 7 Vlad
novels).  However, some people may be using spam/virus
detection software that kills email over a certain size, so
hopefully they'll speak up and say what limit they're using.

> 3. What is the proper way to refer to the author we're here
> for?  I've been using "Mr. Brust", but I've seen "Steve"
> used quite a few times.  I don't know the man, so I'm not
> entirely comfortable assuming it's okay to refer to him by
> his first-name (in the third-person, even).  Has he
> previously expressed a preference?

I believe he is on record saying he doesn't really care.  And
keep in mind that several people do know him personally (and
in couple cases are related to him).  I myself use "Mr.
Brust" or "the Author", though I think "St. Brust" is pretty
cool.

--KG