Dragaera

Mailing List Etiquette

Mark A Mandel mam at theworld.com
Tue Feb 10 19:15:49 PST 2004

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, Kenneth Gorelick wrote:

#I KNOW that YHWH is pronounced "adonai"--how does one pronounce SKZB?

We do that nowadays; in the time of the Temple the High Priest
pronounced it with vowels that are now unknown. I'll answer in the same
tradition, using approximate International Phonetic Alphabet.

1. Either [skzb] with syllabic [z], or [sti:v] (i.e., "Steve").

#Not to mention MXYZPTLK.

2. The Superman lettercol gave two answers in the days when I was
reading it as a kid and a teenager. My quotes are approximate in
wording/spelling, but I'm sure of the content.

 a. "Just as it's spelled." I make that three syllables, [m'ksIz.ptlk],
with syllabic [m] and [l].

 b. "mix-YEZ-pitellick".

-- Dr. Whom, Consulting Linguist, Grammarian, Orthoepist, and
   Philological Busybody
   a.k.a. Mark A. Mandel