Dragaera

Mailing list vs. forum (was: warning to newbies)

Wed Feb 11 08:55:15 PST 2004

On Feb 10, 2004, at 21:10 , Mark A Mandel wrote:

>> I haven't seen any of that cr at p here, have you?

>No, and thank you very much! I didn't mean to say that there were any
>spam/trolls on the list, but that it can be a problem with forums
>unless you take steps to make it not a problem. Sorry for any confusion
>there.

>So, I guess the general consensus is that a forum would not be
>preferred to a list format. Just wanted to bring it up in light of the
>off-topicness of some of the posts, and the complaints thereof. I
>myself wouldn't open a forum as an alternative to this list because:

>a) I don't have any hosting space to do so
>b) If you throw a party and no-one comes, is it a party?

>But, thanks to everyone for voicing an opinion.

ok, i'm not nearly as technologically literate as a lot of the people on this
list seem to be (i know how to navigate the programs i need to use for work and
play and that's about it)and this is the first and only discussion list i've
ever been a part of so i'm not very familiar with a lot of the terminology.
correct me if i'm wrong (which is entirely possible) but a forum usually
requires going to a site and logging on, right?  the kind of site that employers
(like mine) like to block so you can't access them.  if this went to a forum, i
wouldn't be able to read the lovely comments that alternately piss me off, make
me laugh out loud or think Deep Thoughts.  that would be terrible.