Dragaera

Reliability and POV

Sun Feb 15 08:07:35 PST 2004

So I've been working on my new Brust page, which (for the moment) will be
dedicated to two things:

1. My ongoing attempts to create an unauthorized Map of Dragaera.

2. My ongoing attempts to create an unauthorized visual Cycle.

I say "unauthorized" because I don't expect to get any help from Brust
himself, nor will Brust be bound in any fashion whatsoever by whatever I
come up with for future novels (well, the text references are his, but I'm
talking about my contributions).

Both of these attempts will be made using text references from the Dragaeran
novels (except for "Brokedown Palace", which I still haven't read) by Brust
as follows:

There are basically 6 points of view (POV) in use in the Dragaeran novels
that I've read.  I will list them below, in order of reliability, in my
opinion.  If there is an inconsistency, I will accept as "correct" the one
>from the lowest number below:

1. Athyra/Introduction to Dzurlord - Both are written from the God POV, so
any mistakes are Cracks (Brust messed up)

--all the rest are written from the First Person, which I believe is
inherently unreliable--

2. Orca (Kiera's POV) - For SPOILER reasons I won't go into, I trust the
tales from her POV very much.

3. Paarfi's POV - He's a historian, therefore I trust he's done his
research, regardless of what his contemporary critics think.

4. Vlad's POV, except for Dragon - He's just this guy, but a guy with an eye
for detail known for his information network.

5. Orca (Vlad's POV) - It's being relayed by Kiera after the fact from
memory (I trust her memory is good, but it's still a 2nd hand account)

6. Dragon - It's being remembered 3 years later, and Vlad himself admits his
memory is not so sharp at times.

And, of course, all of the above are being "translated" by Brust, so that
introduces another non-Crack source of error (Brust has covered himself
well).

Having said that, what do the rest of you think?

I've heard people say the Introduction to Dzurlord is unreliable.  Why?  Has
Brust distanced himself from it?  Unless Brust himself says it isn't
reliable, I will continue accepting it a "canon" (and, moreover, very
reliable, as it's written from the God POV).

There is a huge debate, both in Dragaera itself and in our world, on how
reliable Paarfi is.  My family/friends think Paarfi is the LEAST reliable
(should be #6), but regardless of his "problems" as a historian, it doesn't
seem likely to me that he would be wrong about the subject matter I'm
interested in--Geography and the Cycle.

Thank you for your thoughts,

Bryan