Dragaera

Reliability and POV

Mon Feb 16 05:01:36 PST 2004

> Does the fact that Castle Black is a floating castle cause any concern?
> Floating things
> aren't always (perhaps aren't normally) stationary things. And even if
> magically
> stationary (as magically floating) what is the assurance that it has
> been station-keeping
> in the same place throughout the several eras of the tales?

Yes, that is a big concern... I'm not ready to give text examples yet, but
the distance from Dzur Mountain to Castle Black was "40 or 45 miles" per
Paarfi at the end of the Interregnum, and "some 50 miles" per Vlad 240 years
later, so it _appears_ that, if it moves, it tends to return to the same
spot.

Furthermore, a conversation towards the end of "Lord of Castle Black"
(again, no text yet, this is from memory) about moving the (newly) floating
Castle Black to Dzur Mountain, and how long it would take (100s if not 1000s
of years) to move those 40 or 45 miles makes me think it doesn't move much,
if at all.

I think the Floating Castles are more Levitating Castles than Flying
Castles.

On a mostly-unrelated tangent, where are the flying ships?  Think about it:
Flying Ship vs Floating Castle, that's gotta have a high CQ (Cool
Quotient)...

Bryan